When buying ingredients for vegan chocolate cupcakes, please look out for the official vegan label, if there isn’t one, you just need to be sure the ingredients don’t contain milk (milk powder, lactose), buttermilk, margarine, egg, gelatin and choose unrefined or organic sugar or sugar made from beets or coconut. Please ask a store assistant for help and confirmation.
- 10oz / 1 and a quarter cup of Self Raising Flour.
- 3oz /a third cup of Cocoa Powder
- 8 oz / 1 cup Caster Sugar
- 4oz / half cup of Coconut Oil
- 230ml / 1 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C and line a 12 piece cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- Put the Cocoa Powder and Caster Sugar into a mixing bowl and stir until fully mixed.
- Melt the coconut oil in a pan or in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Gradually add the water to the mix and stir until the mixture is free of lumps and powder.
- Add the coconut oil and stir until it blends with the water and the mixture is completely smooth. Add more water/flour if necessary for a thick but pourable mix.
- Pour equal portions into the 12 cupcake liners.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Check cakes are cooked by inserting a knife and making sure there is no mixture stuck to the blade.
- Decorate with Betty Crocker’s Chocolate Fudge Frosting (which is completely vegan) or a dash of icing sugar.